A program designed to focus on molecular hepatology study that integrates molecular approaches to cancer-related and metabolic diseases through basic research and clinics is a three-year PhD program harmoniously developed and implemented by Department of Science and Technology-Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (DOST-PCHRD), University of Trieste (UNITS) and Fondazione Italiana Fegato (FIF) mainly to equip health and health-related researchers to develop interventions that will address health issues and sustain health welfare of the people.
The PhD program aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Develop a pool of high-quality human resources in molecular medicine (molecular hepatology in particular) who will contribute to the country’s global competitiveness and economic development;
- Provide opportunities to deserving students to study and obtain PhD degrees in molecular biomedicine in reputable institutions abroad;
- Contribute to the country’s health research and technological innovation capabilities through training in biomedical research; and
- Create the basis for Liver Network integrating basic and clinical research in liaison with FIF.
Two (2) positions for the PhD program will be available each year at UNITS-FIF (subject to the availability of funds).
The applicant must:
- Be a Filipino citizen;
- Be in a good condition;
- not be more than 50 years old at the time of application;
- have a Master’s degree in a field related to health and biomedicine;
- have an outstanding academic record;
- pass the admission requirements for the PhD study;
- pass the interview and other screening procedures;
- not avail or enjoy any other scholarships; and
- be willing to render service obligation for a period equivalent to twice the length of time or a fraction thereof that they enjoyed the PhD scholarship.
- school fees (i.e bench fees, permits, etc.);
- living allowance;
- book allowance;
- outright dissertation grant;
- health and accident insurance;
- one round-trip economy fare from residence to Italy (start and end of scholarship period only); and
- Pre-departure expenses (one-time only)
The applicant must submit the requirements for the Foreign Graduate Scholarship Program to DOST-PCHRD
Documentary evaluation of the accomplished forms and other requirements
Technical interview by a panel composed of DOST-PCHRD Director; FIF Scientific Director, a member of the PhD program in Molecular Biomedicine of the University of Trieste, and other health research experts to assess:
· Academic background and learning ability
· Capacity for completing the study in Italy
· Possibility for contributing to the development of the country
· Compatibility with the university course
The panel will identify the successful PhD student(s) among the candidates interviewed.
Note: An Applicant who has already started their studies abroad prior to application to the scholarship program can no longer apply.
HOW TO APPLY?
Program Admission/Scholarship Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Accomplished Application Form with recent ID picture
- Endorsement letter from two (2) former professors in the MS Program
- If employed:
- Certificate of Employment
- Recommendation letter from the Head of the Agency
- Permission to take a leave of absence (LOA) while on scholarship
- Testamurs for all qualifications undertaken (i.e. Certificate of Master’s Degree)
- Transcript of records (Certified true copy)
- Accomplished Re-entry Action Plan (narrative)
- Program of Study/Course Curriculum from UNITS (if available or to follow)
Applicant/s who were able to pass the interview will be asked to submit the following:
- PSA Birth Certificate (Photocopy)
- Valid NBI Clearance (Original)
- Medical Certificate as to health status from a licensed physician with their PRC license number indicated.
Applicant/s who will be accepted in the program will be asked to submit the following before departure to Italy:
Budgetary Requirements – attach at least three (3) airfare and three (3) health and accident insurance canvasses (include respective website references)
Submission of documents:
Subject: 2023 PhD Mol BioMed Application_(Surname, First Name)
- For hard copy of documents, sent to:
Dr. Jaime C. Montoya (c/o Jessica Marie Suerte)
Executive Director II, DOST-PCHRD
DOST-PCHRD Office, Saliksik Building., Sikap St., DOST Compound,
Gen. Santos Ave., Bicutan, Taguig City 1631 Philippines