The Department of Science and Technology – Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (PCHRD), the University of Trieste (UNITS), and Fondazione Italiana Fegato (FIF) entered into an agreement to develop and implement a program focused on molecular hepatology within the Ph.D. Program in Molecular Biomedicine of UNITS. This Fellowship program integrates basic research and clinics focusing on the study of molecular approaches to cancer biology, genetics, jaundice, and metabolic diseases. The duration of the program is for 3 years.
Applicant’s research interests must be aligned with the National Unified Health Research Agenda (NUHRA) and National Harmonized Research and Development Agenda.
The Ph.D. program aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Develop a pool of high-quality human resources in molecular hepatology in particular who will contribute to the country’s global competitiveness and economic development;
- Provide opportunities to deserving students to study and obtain Ph.D. degrees in Molecular Biomedicine in reputable institutions abroad;
- Contribute to the country’s health research and technological innovation capabilities through training on biomedical research;
- Create the basis for a Filipino Liver Network integrating basic and clinical research in liaison with FIF.
Two positions of Ph.D. students will be available each year at UNITS (Subject to the availability of funds)
The applicant must:
- Be a Filipino citizen;
- Be in good health condition;
- Not be more than 40 years old at the time of application;
- Hold a Master's degree in a field relevant to health and biomedicine;
- Have an outstanding academic record;
- Passed the admission requirements for the Ph.D. study;
- Passed the interview and other screening procedures;
- Conduct her/his research for the entire duration of the scholarship and of the Ph.D. Program.
- Living allowance (20,000€/year);
- Book allowance (500€/year);
- Bench fee (4,000€/year);
- Health and accident insurance; and
- One round-trip economy fare from residence to Italy.
|1st SelectionDocument Screening||Documentary evaluation of the form and other requirements by DOST-PCHRD|
|2nd SelectionTechnical Interview||
Technical interview by a panel composed of DOST-PCHRD Director, FIF Scientific Director (or a FIF delegate), or a member of the Ph.D. Program in Molecular Biomedicine of the UNITS, and other health research experts to assess:
Academic background and learning ability·
Capacity for completing the study·
Possibility of contributing to the development of the country·
Compatibility to the university course.
The interview will take place online.
|3rd and Final Selection||A panel from the Ph.D. Program in Molecular Biomedicine (UNITS) will identify the successful Ph.D. student(s) from among the candidates selected in the Technical Interview, based on their academic records and the selection criteria as established by UNITS.|
List of Application Documents (Forms) for PCHRD screening
- Accomplished application form with ID picture
- PSA Birth Certificate
- Valid NBI Clearance
- Endorsement Letter from two (2) former professors in the MS program
- Certificate of Employment (if employed, recommendation and permission to take a leave of absence from an employer or head of agency while on scholarship)
- Medical Certificate as to health status from a licensed physician with his/her PRC license number indicated
- Certificate of Master Degree
- Admission to Graduate Studies/Graduate School
- Transcript of Records (certified true copy)
- Program of Study/Course Curriculum (if available or to follow)
- Re-entry Action Plan (narrative)
- Budgetary Requirements (attach at least 3 airfare and health and accident insurance canvasses and website references for items requested)
|February 1||Opening of the PCHRD Call for Applications|
|April 15||Application deadline|
|April- May||Document Screening and Interview|
|June 15||Announcement of the selected candidate(s)|
|July - September||Preparation of necessary documents (visa, insurance, bank account, etc.) and Signing of the scholarship agreement|
|October||Orientation of Scholars and Departure|
|November 1||Start of Ph.D. program|
Documents must be submitted to:
Address: Saliksik Building, DOST Compound, Gen. Santos Ave., Bicutan Taguig City 1631 Philippines